The global 'open access' movement continues to grow and strengthen. Based on the number of hits by Open Health News (OHN) readers on links to 'open access' eHealth and Medical journals, the following are their top choices:
- Bentham Open Access Journals - Bentham publishes over 230 peer-reviewed open access journals. These free-to-view online journals cover all major disciplines of science, technology, medicine, health, and social sciences.
- BioMed Central – A science, technology and medicine (STM) publisher which has pioneered the 'open access' publishing model. All original research articles published by BioMed Central are peer reviewed and made freely and permanently accessible online immediately upon publication.
- Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics - A free, online journal providing a peer-reviewed venue for members of the Canadian Nursing Informatics Association and other researchers who work with nursing Informatics.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) - The aim of DOAJ is to increase the visibility and ease of use and access to 'open access' scientific and scholarly journals. The Directory aims to be comprehensive and cover all open access scientific and scholarly journals that use a quality control system to guarantee the content.
- Electronic Journal of Health Informatics (eJHI) – This journal is dedicated to the advancement of health informatics and information technology (IT) in healthcare. eJHI is an international 'open access' journal committed to scholarly excellence and has a global readership in all health professions and at all levels.
"By open access, we mean its immediate, free availability on the public internet, permitting any users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search or link to the full text of these articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software or use them for any other lawful purpose…” - See The Budapest Open Access Initiative
Other on-line eHealth and Medical journals popular with OHN readers
- IMIA Applied Clinical Informatics Journal
- Journal of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA)
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Open Geriatric Medicine Journal
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) Journals
- The Informatics Review (TIR)
* Also, check out the COSI 'Open'Health web site.
Which is your favorite 'open access' journal related to eHealth and/or Medicine? Do you have another 'open access' journal you would recommend to readers?