Low cost and high-performance implantable health care solutions based on emerging nanotechnologies will dramatically change the daily clinical practices of many health care providers and the lives of the patients they treat. "Implantables" have already evolved from artificial hips and knees to assistive devices that have built-in electronics such as artificial pacemakers or cochlear implants.
Next generation implantable eCare systems will consist of nanotechnology implants that gather information, communicate, and interconnect with EHR and PHR systems. The following are a few selected examples of implantable technologies already being used in the healthcare arena:
- Implantable Patient ID/Information Microchips
- Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators & Pacemakers
- Implantable Visual Sensory Aids & Hearing Devices
- Implantable Stimulators – Brain/Nerves/Bladder/Diaphragm/Etc.
- Implantable Drug Administration & Pain Control Devices
- Implantable Sensors and/or Active Monitoring Devices
Some implantable health IT products and companies to check out include:
- PositiveID Corporation & HealthID
- Diabetech & GlucoDYNAMIX
- Medtronic CareLink
- BrainGate System
- Zarlink Wireless Healthcare
* Also read Implantable Medical Devices & EHR Systems published in Virtual Medical Worlds in 2007 - See http://www.hoise.com/vmw/07/articles/vmw/LV-VM-06-07-5.html
Have you had experience with implantable eCare systems? Tell us about it.
Selected Articles on Open Source & Implantable Medical Devices